Who says you can't enjoy international flavours from the comfort of your home? Today, we'll take you on a culinary journey to Mexico, all thanks to the amazing Shiva Organic's Harshil Rajma. This versatile legume is the star ingredient of our Mexican-style refried beans - the perfect addition to nachos, tacos, burritos, and more! Packed with protein and fibre, this dish is not just tasty, but also incredibly nutritious. Let's dive in.
- 1 cup Shiva Organic’s Harshil Rajma
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 cup cooked rajma
- 1 jalapeño, finely chopped
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 2 tsp crushed dried oregano
- 1 tsp red chilli powder (or smoked paprika)
- 1 spoon tomato sauce
- Half tsp salt
- Half cup vegetable stock (or water)
- A handful of chopped coriander
1. The first step involves soaking the Shiva Organic’s Rajma. This crucial process helps to soften the beans and reduce their cooking time. Soak them overnight or for at least 5-6 hours for the best results.
2. Next, it's time to cook the rajma. Add them to a pressure cooker with 2.5 cups of water and let them cook until tender. This process should take around 15-20 minutes depending on your pressure cooker.
3. Once the beans are cooked, drain them and set them aside to let the water completely drain out. Afterward, mash the beans leaving some whole for a chunkier texture.
4. Now, it's time to develop some flavour. Heat the olive oil in a pan, and add the finely chopped garlic. Sauté the garlic over a medium flame for a few seconds until it becomes aromatic.
5. To the sautéed garlic, add the mashed rajma and all the spices - the finely chopped jalapeño, cumin powder, crushed dried oregano, and red chilli powder or smoked paprika. Stir well to combine, ensuring every bean is well coated with the spices.
6. Now, add a spoonful of tomato sauce and half a teaspoon of salt to the mix. Stir again until the tomato sauce is well distributed.
7. Finally, pour in the vegetable stock or water and bring the mixture to a simmer. This will help to create a thick, rich sauce. If the beans become too dry, add a little more stock or water.
8. Just before serving, top the beans with a handful of freshly chopped coriander for a pop of freshness.
The Shiva Organic’s Harshil Rajma is a standout in this dish, offering a delicious and robust flavour that pairs beautifully with the Mexican-inspired spices. Serve these refried beans in a burrito, as a side to some tacos, or scoop them up with some crunchy tortilla chips. The possibilities are endless. Happy cooking!